In general, awesome update - some important changes here, esp. re-routing!
Here's my feedback so far, in order of importance to me :-)
1a) Rerouting (manual click) did not work very well for me (same as Haydn Thomas point 2); when running a pre-created route and when taking a shortcut between waypoints, rerouting did not select the nearest/next waypoint as I would have hoped, but still kept pointing backwards from where I came (probably towards a waypoint that I skipped). I guess waypoints are only partially dropped during rerouting?
This would sort of imply that there are 2 types of waypoints : one added by the user (must visit, i.e., stopping by that store, or specifically taking a less busy road), and then waypoints added to assist with routing (which should be more flexible and ignored during re-routing).
1b) mentioned by Haydn as well : the new routing drops the previous/next waypoint selection (so I could not resolve the conflict with my preferred route until I rejoined the planned route)
2) once I joined the track again - the "back on track" is now even more obvious due to the changed arrow colour! This is great UI.
3) It's probably me, but the post-upgrade update tutorial/wizard : it wasn't clear to me that the tutorial was shown because there were changes (i.e. routing) - my first thought was that my settings were reset, and I started instinctively skipping :-) If not already the case (sorry, I'm an idiot with a short attention-span), the first screen post-update should show "check out our updates" or something like that. Maybe it did. Ah well.
4) The wording of the dot in the tutorial ("direction of your next turn") does not seem to match the experience I have. Does it point to the 2nd-next waypoint? Or does it really indicate you have to e.g. make e.g. a 90 degree turn at the next intersection (I know it doesn't, because it moves about, at least since yesterday's update).
I guess the ambiguity is about what the word "turn" means, it's not the same as one would expect from e.g. a GPS/satnav. Anyway, I also haven't found it to be consistent - it's helpful in a general sort of way but perhaps the Beeline compass was simply off on occasion. Also, often Beeline routing drops a waypoint in a bend in the middle of a road w/o intersection, which muddles up the definition of "turn" even more.
And some possible routing options / features:
- Add preference to make route mode default?
- Save route mode "toggle status" together with the route.
Please sign in to leave a comment.